The digital nomad lifestyle is getting more popular. Its perks are mostly the reason why more people are wanting to be a digital nomad.
Being a digital nomad will free you from working eight hours a day in your office. It will give you an opportunity to travel the world and earn money at the same time. If you’re a parent, you can watch your children grow while you work. If you want to launch a startup, moving to another country with a lower cost of living will help you to save funds. It’s also cheaper to start and run a business in some countries.
The digital nomad lifestyle will also give you growth, knowledge, and a chance to meet more people. Because of these awesome benefits, more people are leaving their jobs to be a digital nomad.
But what exactly is a digital nomad and what do they do for a living?
“Digital nomads are people who are living life as an adventure, empowered by technology to break free of the constraints of the physical workplace.” -Upwork
Simply put, digital nomads work remotely and rely on a stable internet connection. Some of them are part of a company that lets them work away from home. Others are entrepreneurs who launch their businesses in another country. They can be freelancers, too.
What do I have to do to become a digital nomad?
1. Know your skills and sell them. Your skills will help you become a digital nomad. Freelancing, for example, will open doors for you. You can try some freelancing sites like Upwork and offer your skills to clients.
If you think you lack skills, remember that you can learn these. Take online courses or free classes. Check out some experts who run their own blogs. Some of them share tips and even give video tutorials.
2. Invest in reliable hardware. A digital nomad needs quality gadgets and hardware that will not let him down. Your laptop will be your best friend. It should be versatile, lightweight, and easy to use. You should also consider its battery life and storage space.
Other gadgets you will need:
- Portable hard drive
- Portable wi-fi and routers
- Unlocked phone and international roaming plans
- Travel adaptor
- Noise canceling headphones
- Power banks
3. Save your money. You need enough funds when traveling. It is best to reduce your current expenses.
4. Research and plan your trip. Aside from knowing your destination, there are things you need to consider like:
- Healthcare- You should never forget about your health. Get a health insurance plan before you leave. Search for the right plans that will cover your needs while you’re abroad.
- Finances- Settle your debts before you leave. Also, it is important to know the current cost of living in the country you want to visit. There are sites that can help you like Nomadlist and Numbeo. They will show you the country’s cost of living, wifi speeds, weather, and other factors you have to know.
- Banking- Try to get a debit or credit card that won’t charge you any fees for transactions abroad. Talk to your card’s customer service rep and ask them about their regulations in this matter. If you’re freelancing, use Paypal and Transferwise so your clients can pay you.
- Visas- Visa requirements and rules can vary in every country. Always check visa regulations before visiting a country.
- Travel insurance- Get a travel insurance that covers medical expenses, trip cancellation, and adventure activities. Search for the insurance that you think will suit your needs and budget. Most digital nomads recommend World Nomads.
5. Join a digital nomad community. Surrounding yourself with people who have the same mindset like yours is a big help. It will inspire you, keep you motivated and will boost your creativity. Those who are already living the nomadic lifestyle can give you insights. You can ask for tips and more information. Also, by joining a community, your network will expand. If you’re planning to launch a startup, you might find a potential investor or partner.
There are loads of community that you can try like:
Becoming a successful digital nomad doesn’t happen overnight. You need a solid plan, a clear goal, and a resilient mind. You will face some challenges along the way, but the results and experiences can be rewarding.
Follow us on WeChat