Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram can be considered as the golden trio in content marketing strategy. They all play powerful roles in the online marketing game.
But there’s an underappreciated player that some entrepreneurs don’t use often, or not at all. It’s Pinterest.
Pinterest is a free website that only requires registration to use. Users can upload and share images, which are known as pins. Videos and GIFs are allowed on the site, too.
To put it simply, Pinterest is a virtual inspiration board. It can help a person hack his way through creating DIY projects, throwing a party, and even redecorating a room. Because of Pinterest’s cool feature called repin, it’s easy to save any ideas on pinboards.
Still clueless on how Pinterest can help you in content marketing? Let’s tackle the perks of using Pinterest for your business.
- Get discovered. There are over 150 million Pinterest users. That means your product can reach that huge number of potential customers by using the site.
- Influences purchase. A large majority of Pinners use Pinterest to decide what to buy. According to a research, 87% of Pinners have bought a product because of the website. Also, 93% of Pinners used Pinterest to plan a future purchase.
- Drives traffic. Around 5% of all referral traffic to websites comes from Pinterest. This is second only to Facebook, which drives 25% of web referral traffic.
- Boosts creativity. Pinterest boards can help your employees when their creativity is running dry. For example, your graphic designers might find inspiration while looking at other artist’s works. You can also gain ideas for your next content by checking the boards that fit your needs and interests.
How to use Pinterest for business
You can either use a personal account or a business account. A business account is more recommended due to its access to analytics.
Here’s a step by step guide on creating a Pinterest business page.
- Enter your email address, password, and business name. Select your business type, then put your website.
- Click “Confirm website” to get access to analytics and logos from your site.
- To confirm your website, you can verify with an HTML file or meta tag. When you see your logo or profile picture on the pins saved from your site, it means your website is confirmed.
- Add the Pin It button to your website. This allows users to save content from your site to their Pinterest boards. To add the Pin It button, go to Pinterest’s Widget builder.
- Choose if you want your Pin It button to be a “One Image, “Any Image,” or “Image Hover” format.
- After deciding on the format of your Pin It button, copy and paste the code into your web page where you want it to appear.
- You can now start pinning.
Tips and strategic ways to use Pinterest for marketing
- Make sure to put your brand’s name and website address on your Pinterest profile page.
- Create boards with keywords in the title.
- Pay attention to the captions you use. Since users can tweet your pins, it’s best to keep it short yet relevant.
- Invest in Promoted Pins. Pinterest ads, known as Promoted Pins, can help you promote to more people by paying for exposure. For now, Pinterest ads are only available to businesses in the United States, Canada, and the UK.
- Aside from adding the Pin It button, you can add the Follow button on your web page. It’s also smart to add Rich Pins. Rich Pins give more context about an idea because they show extra information directly on a pin. There are six types of Rich Pins. App, product, recipe and article, movie, and place.
- Make sure your Pins are helpful and appealing so users will save your ideas.
- Be aware of Pinterest’s image requirements. It’s better to use vertical images since most users use Pinterest on their phones. Vertical images can have an aspect ratio of 2:3 to 1:2.8. It must be at least 600px wide.
- Study Pinterest’s categories and figure out where your business fits. Some of the top categories are DIY, weddings, home décor, and crafts. Don’t forget to categorize your pinboards so users can discover your content.
- Build links back to your website. You can add your link in the description or in the source for the pin.
- Create an embed code on the Pinterest site and embed pins on your blog.
- Share your pins and boards to other social media platforms.
- Create a pinnable image on every post that you publish.
- Pin as a team. Pinterest allows users to add contributors to the board. Add your employees and encourage them to post interesting contents.
- Follow other boards. This will you give insight into what’s popular. Not only that, it can help you build relationships with other similar bloggers and companies in your niche.
- Pay attention to your Pinterest analytics. This feature lets you check the pins and boards that get most likes, comments, and repins. Use this data to improve your content and engagement to the audience.
Follow us and get more inspiration from our Pinterest boards!
Do you use Pinterest for your content marketing strategy? What are the tips or pointers you want to add?
Share it with us.